The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
— Andrew A. Rooney
Spay or Neuter Your Pet
Spay or Neuter Services
Spaying and neutering pets is a good way to keep the unwanted pet population percentage low. Because too many animals don’t have forever homes, numerous unwanted pets face being humanely euthanized.
Depending on breed, your pet may be spayed or neutered between 4 and 6 months. Females can be spayed before the first heat cycle, which means at about 6 months of age. Pregnancy can be very dangerous if your pet is too young and spaying her at the earliest opportunity ensures against this. Mountain View will recommend the most appropriate timing for your pet’s surgery.
Health Benefits for Dogs & Cats
Spaying or neutering your dog or cat has these added health advantages:
- If your female dog is spayed before her first heat cycle, her chances of breast cancer are near zero percent.
- Spaying eliminates unwanted and potentially life-threatening pregnancies and subsequent unwanted puppies and kittens.
- Possible deadly uterine infections called pyometra can no longer occur.
- Female cats can be in heat as often as every 2 weeks for 6 months and can have two to three litters of kittens a year. Female dogs can be in heat and have two litters a year. Spaying eliminates heat or estrous cycles, the associated discharge, and behavior changes.
- Around the age of 5, male dogs may begin to have issues with their prostate glands. Neutering him when he becomes old enough will help to lessen the chance of prostate problems.
- Neutered male dogs are much less likely to become aggressive and exhibit other unwanted male behaviors. They are more likely to stay home and not wander off where they may get into fights or be hit by cars.
Outstanding Pet Surgical Care
As with any surgical procedure, your pet will have an IV catheter placed so that fluids can be given, and we will give an injection before the general anesthetic to calm any anxiety your pet might feel. Throughout the procedure, your pet will be kept warm and comfortable while being monitored continually for blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen level, and body temperature.